Too many thoughts on the daily deluge of dreck from Washington. Too many hours reading the news, watching CNN and MSNBC.
Too many headaches. Media-induced vertigo.
Need to go back on the wagon, back to my post-election news blackout.
Never had a taste for science fiction or fantasy, unbelievable plotlines.
Time to return to the real world, just in time for Opening Day of the baseball season and the Masters.
But first, I need to upchuck some sentences that have been incubating for months:
- The current president of the United States is the evolutionary product, the natural selection, of forty years of Republicanism – the Me Party – every policy shaped by the question: What’$ in it for me and people like me?
- Do-gooder Democrats lack such steadfastness, such clarity of purpose.
- Even if he is impeached, leaves the White House in disgrace, or loses a run for a second term, Trump will achieve his only goal – cashing in on his presidency.
- After eight years of the classy Obamas, the new family in the White House reminds me of the Clampetts in designer clothes, with New York accents.
- Suggested question at Trump’s next news conference: “Are you crazy, or stupid, or both?”
- Suggested follow-up question at a Sean Spicer briefing: “What the fuck are you talking about?”
- The Trumpiacs on CNN are equally nonsensical, though one, Andre Bauer, was quite clear when running for governor of South Carolina in 2010, talking about programs to help poor people: “My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed.”
- When did the politicians and the media decide to label everyone either left or right? What happened to liberals and conservatives?
- What the hell is the Freedom Caucus? What happened to the Tea Party?
- What is a moderate Republican?
- Want to crush the crackers in states that discriminate against poor people and minorities by legislating to limit voting rights, women’s rights, religious rights, gay rights, worker rights etc.? Organize campaigns to persuade top high school football and basketball players – from poor and minority families – to boycott state universities in places like South Carolina, Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Why does the president have two Twitter accounts? Is @realDonaldTrump the real Donald Trump and @POTUS the fake president?
- Why is he so obsessed with Obama and the Clintons? Is it because he really wanted to run as a Democrat and knew they’d laugh him off the stage?
- Have we ever seen Trump laugh? Smirk, yes. Laugh, no. SAD!
- Dear Bernie Babies, Jill Stein and Gary Johnson voters: Having fun?
- What’s the difference between the Electoral College and Trump University?
Now I can get back to writing other stuff, watching reruns of M*A*S*H and Cheers on TV, rereading Nelson DeMille and Michael Connelly novels.
Counting flowers on the wall,
That don’t bother me at all.
Playing solitaire till dawn,
With a deck of fifty-one.
Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.
Now, don’t tell me I’ve nothing to do.